Friday, March 09, 2007

More Than A Feeling



I don't usually post more than once a day...and sometimes not for several days..but one of my childhood singers has passed.


Brad Delp, lead singer for the band Boston, was found dead in his home today at the age of 55.


I cannot even begin to express the lose I feel. Being a child of 14 when Boston first hit the airwaves, I was entranced. By Brad and by what I call the early precursor to hard rock. They had a heavy riff and a message. Was I into them?? Hell, I still have TWO copies of their original VINYL "Boston" album, one I play , and one still unopened. And yes, I have their CD's also.


Maybe what hit me the most was two things. Being an intrepid and aspiring young drum player at the time (and still can beat out a pretty good solo, much to my neighbours chagrin), Jim Masdea was second only to Phil Collins.


But Brad wrote and sang songs that still had meaning.


Their first hit, "More Than A Feeling", to me, contains perfect insight into love...."I woke up this morning and the sun was gone". What better way to describe a lost love?


Their song "Peace of Mind"?? "I understand about indecsion, and I don't care if I'm left behind, people living in competition, all I want is to have my peace of mind".


As for Brad. There was only one thing I wished for.....to see him and Freddie Mercury, on stage, singing. Now there are two voices that were silenced to soon.


And yes. On their first album cover...those are guiters, heading out from an exploding Earth for a better place. Utopian dream, or just "some peace of mind"?????




Per Ardua Ad Astra
|

1 Comments:

Blogger Gayle said...

It's always sad when someone passes that you admire so much, even if you didn't really know them in real life. It feels like you did! I felt that way when Jimmy Stewart and Gary Cooper died. I felt that way when Ronald Reagan died. There are several others I felt that way about. I cried over their passing, so I understand it perfectly.

I can say one thing for certain; he's now in a better place. :)

3:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home